The Road Trip

Co-written by: Myst, Mel and LJ

(Crossover with Zack & Rene)


Kadyn excitedly paced the veranda. Every couple of minutes, he stopped and looked to see if a car was driving down the street. ‘Not yet,’ he sighed impatiently.

He turned as the front door opened and smiled when Vincent walked over.

“Kadyn, he isn’t going to get here any faster because you’re pacing.” Vincent looked at Kadyn and couldn’t help but smile at his Brat’s enthusiasm for anything new, including a trip out of town to buy paint.

Vincent gave Kadyn a big hug; then quickly sat on the covered swing. Without giving Kadyn a chance to get away, he pulled him down onto his lap. “I think we can find a way to pass a few minutes, don’t you? After all, I’m going to have to deal with you being away from me for hours today, so I think a bit of cuddling is in order,” the older man teased with a laugh.

“Oh all right.” Although Kadyn feigned being put out by the attention, he still nestled in close, his head under Vincent’s chin and his arms around the older man’s neck. “Wish you and Zack didn’t have to work today. It would be a nice trip for the four of us to make,” he murmured with a sigh.

“You know, it’s too bad you don’t want a mural on your store window. Dad was really pleased with the sketches Rene did and says the price is reasonable, too. He’s looking forward to the finished project.”

Lifting his head and looking Vincent in the eye, Kadyn cheekily stated, “That old book store could use a bit of a facelift, you know; like a bit of colour wouldn’t hurt any. Sure you don’t want to reconsider?”

Before Vincent had a chance to answer, a car pulled into the driveway. “Rene’s here!” Kadyn excitedly announced and jumped up off his partner’s lap. “Hey, Zack’s with him.”

Though Rene was pleased to have Kadyn’s company for this trip, he would have been more excited if Zack were coming. But then as Zack had reminded him, he hadn’t made a lot of friends in town yet and this trip would give him and Kadyn a chance to really get to know each other.

As he turned the car into the driveway of Kadyn and Vincent’s home, he could see the younger man rushing down the veranda steps to greet them. “Looks like the energizer bunny is ready to go,” he said to his partner. “Something tells me this trip will be anything but boring with Kadyn along.”

Zach chuckled at the younger man’s comment. “I am sure he’ll keep things hopping and that you are both in for a good time. But right now I want to introduce you to Vincent. I am sure Kadyn would have made the introductions but being as you’re my partner, I reserve all bragging rights.” He smiled at his gorgeous young partner.

He got out of the car and waited for Rene to step in beside him before walking towards the two men bearing down on them, one at a slower pace than the other.

“Good morning, Vincent and Kadyn,” he greeted and extended his hand.

“Good to see you, Zack!” Kadyn enthusiastically shook the other man’s hand and then turned his attention to Rene. “You’re right on time, Rene, and I’m raring to go!”

Stepping closer to his friend, he nodded his head in the direction of their older partners and whispered, “Any bets they’re gonna have a list of last minute instructions before they let us get outa here?” His eyes sparkled with merriment. He was completely undeterred by the prospect.

Rene laughed at Kadyn’s remarks and whispered back, “It’s what we get for partnering with older guys. They always worry and think they need to tell us how to do things.” He then turned his attention back to Zack who he knew wanted to introduce him to Kadyn’s partner.

Placing an arm around Rene’s shoulders and drawing him to his side, Zack proudly announced, “Vincent, I’d like you to meet my partner, Rene Wilson. I’m afraid real-life has interfered with me introducing him sooner.” Zack wasn’t about to publicly state his preference to spend his free time with his young lover rather than socialize. “It has been a busy spring for us, with Rene moving into town and getting settled work-wise.”

Vincent smiled at the newcomer. “Nice to meet you, Rene; I feel I know you a little bit already, as Kadyn has been telling me what a fine artist you are.” Turning to Zack, he added, “I know about real life matters keeping people from doing everything they want. I’m in the same boat!”

Rene returned the smile and greeting. “Thanks, I’m pleased to meet you as well. I wish we had longer to talk but I’d really like to get on the road soon. Kelowna is a bit of a drive.”

“Hold on, Rembrandt. Vincent and I may have a few words to say before bidding our partners goodbye for the day.” Zack’s voice was light and teasing as he smiled at his antsy young lover and winked at Vincent.

Rene shot a mocking eye-roll toward Kadyn and then smiled at Zack. “I promise to drive carefully, keep my mind on the road by not talking to my passenger, and to eat something before heading back on the return journey. Okay? We’ll be fine you know,” he stated with teasing exasperation.

“Yes, and we’ve got our shopping list, our cells phones, and our plastic cards…..we even have a bit of money,” Kadyn informed the older man. He smirked and jokingly muttered to Rene. “Not to mention a mega jumble of dos and don’ts churning in my head. Just shows they care though, right?”

Kadyn threw his arms around Vincent’s neck. “Kiss me goodbye, Hon, so we can get this show on the road. I’m gonna miss you.” This last was whispered in Vincent’s ear, seconds before his mouth was lovingly claimed by Kadyn’s.

Vincent smiled into Kadyn’s kiss; trust his Brat to keep things lighthearted! “Okay, have a good time and I’ll see you in a few hours,” Vincent replied after responding to the kiss with fervor. With mock seriousness, he added, “Don’t forget those dos and don’ts.”

Turning to Zack, he asked with a smile, “Can you think of anything we haven’t told them that they’ll listen to?”

Zack chuckle at Vincent’s inquiry and attempted to reassure him. “Oh, I think we’ve pretty much covered everything, my friend; although some reminders may bear repeating.”

Turning to Rene, he took him by the elbow and pressed some bills into his hand. “Don’t spend it all in one place.” He winked at his partner. “Don’t fill up on junk food, please. Try to eat a good, nutritious lunch, okay?”

He gathered the younger man into his arms and gave him a kiss that lasted a little longer than either had anticipated and left both wanting more. “Have fun, sweetheart. Call if anything comes up,” he whispered, deeply sighing as he set his lover free.

As usual Zack’s kiss left him breathless for a moment. Gathering his thoughts, Renee looked down at the money before smiling back up at his partner. “Thanks, and I won’t and I will and I love you.” He then turned to his traveling companion and hauled him towards the car. “Come on, Kadyn, let’s hit the road.”

Just as the two got their seat belts on and he got the engine started, he called out the open window. “You oughta see how fast you can make a ‘87 K-car go!” Rene grinned from ear to ear, knowing just how the two older men would view that statement. He gave a cheeky wave and pulled out of the driveway.

Zack laughed as he waved goodbye. He turned to look at his friend and laughed louder. “He was joking, Vincent. Rene really is a careful driver; your young lover is quite safe.” Zack wasn’t sure if the other man needed reassurance or not, but decided it couldn’t hurt. “How about joining me for a cup of coffee before you open your shop?”

Vincent nodded and replied. “Sounds like a good idea to me. I told my clerk I might be a bit late today. What do you think of going to The Maple Grille? I’d love one of their cinnamon pecan rolls with my coffee!”

********************

The drive to the city went quickly, with Kadyn regaling Rene with his tongue-in-cheek impersonations of some of the citizens of Jade Heights and the surrounding countryside. Two and a half hours after leaving home, the young men were sitting in a coffee shop trying to decide their next move.

“So what do you think we should do now, Rene?” Kadyn inquired; his disappointment evident. “I mean, it’s kind of a wasted trip if we go back without all the supplies we came for. According to the clerk, they have to order the colours we want, then courier them on to you and it could take up to four or five days. Wouldn’t it save time if we just went and got the rest of the stuff ourselves? I know a return trip to Vancouver wasn’t in the plans but it’s not even eleven o’clock yet, so we could go and still be home before dark.” He was beginning to like the idea of going further afield and prolonging their trip.

Rene thought about Kadyn’s suggestion. He certainly had no problems driving long distances as he had lived his life out of his car for more than a year before meeting Zack.

“Sure that sounds fine with me, as long as you don’t mind the extended drive. If we have to wait that long for the paints to be shipped, I’ll have to postpone doing your store windows for about a month as I have two other commissions I have booked in the meantime. Though, we’ll have to head out right away if we want to get to Vancouver in plenty of time before the artists’ supply store closes.”

He put his coffee cup down on the table and picked up what was left of a huge apple fritter. “I’ll eat the rest of this in the car.”

“I sure don’t mind the longer drive,” Kadyn enthusiastically assured his friend. He stuffed the last bite of doughnut into his mouth, grabbed up his half-finished coffee and followed Rene out to the car.

The trip was relatively uneventful. This time, Kadyn listened enthralled as Rene told him of some of his adventures on the road. The younger man had not travelled very much and had a lot of questions about the other man’s many experiences.

“We’re making good time, Rene,” Kadyn announced, glancing at his watch. “It’s only three o’clock and we’re less than half an hour from our destination.” He looked around excitedly as signs of the approaching city began to appear. “Hope we stop to eat soon; I’m starving!”

Kadyn chuckled at the expression on Rene’s face when the tune of ‘The Candy Man’ was heard a few moments later. He unclipped the cell phone hanging on his belt and flipped it open. “Hi ya, Vincent! How’s things?” Grimacing, he hastily answered, “We couldn’t get all the supplies in Kelowna and so we’re on our way to Vancouver.”

Pressing the cell against his chest, he muttered for Rene’s ears only. “He is not too happy.” Putting the phone back to his ear, Kadyn reluctantly listened to what his partner had to say.

Rene listened to the one side of the conversation Kadyn was having with Vincent and he felt a tightening in his stomach. He hadn’t even thought to call Zack and let him know about the extended trip. He was still fairly new to this relationship business and it didn’t yet come as an automatic thing to call his partner when plans changed.

However, he did remember the talk they’d had about Rene’s tendency to lose track of time or come home late without calling. Zack had been very clear about his feelings on this subject. Though they had discussed the use of discipline when Rene broke the rules, they had never reached that point. Now he seriously wondered if Zack was going to consider this to be the day it would come to pass. ‘Damn, why didn’t I just call Zack before we left Kelowna?’ he thought to himself.

“Yeah, I guess I should have called and I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to worry you. But we’re okay, Vincent. Honest!” Kadyn sighed as the lecture continued for another minute or two and rolled his eyes at his companion. “All right, see you later. Love you, bye.”

Closing the cell, he turned to Rene with a crooked grin. “Ya ready for this, man? Vincent called Zack to see if he had heard from you. Vincent is not too impressed with our decision to go to Vancouver and even less pleased with us not letting either of them know. I just thought I’d give you the thumbs up in case you wanted to pull over and make a call. It might be worth some brownie points to call Zack before he calls you.”

Rene was chewing on his lip. The last thing he wanted to do was upset Zack and now it look as though that was just what he’d done. “Yeah,” he mumbled. “I guess I’d better call him. There’s no place along this stretch of highway to safely pull over though. The next exit should be coming up soon. I’ll get off there and call Zack.”

They drove for another ten minutes before Rene could make a stop at a service station. He nervously pulled out his cell phone and dialed the pharmacy number, figuring Zack would still be in the shop. After three rings the phone was answered.

"Hi, Nancy; it’s Rene. May I speak with Zack please?” He waited for his lover to pick up the line. “Hi, it’s me. I just wanted to say I’m sorry I didn’t think about calling sooner. But we’re okay and only very short distance from the supply store in Vancouver.”

Kadyn listened wide-eyed to the one-sided conversation and wondered why Rene appeared so nervous. ‘Hell, I’m the one with his butt in the line of fire,’ he groused to himself. He blinked as an astonishing notion crossed his mind and distracted him. ‘Nay, no way man……I mean, like what are the chances?’ Furtively watching the man beside him, Kadyn began to believe, ‘that maybe…just maybe…someone else lives the way Vincent and I do.’

“Yes, Zack, I know. I am sorry I didn’t think about calling before now.” Rene paused, listening to his lover. “Okay, we’ll talk about it when I get home.” He listened again, chewing nervously on his lip. “No, I’m okay. I’ll see you tonight. Love you too.”

Rene closed the phone and sat staring ahead for a few seconds. He thought about Zack’s words. Though they’d been calm and reassuring, he was sure Zack must be really angry with him. How could Zack not be angry? He was angry with himself, so his lover had to be even angrier. Damn he should have known he’d mess things up. He wasn’t smartenough to be with an educated man like Zachary Pierce.

Realizing that Kadyn was speaking to him, he then turned and gave a nervous smile to his friend. “Sorry, I guess we’d better get back on the road huh?”

“Yeah, that might be a good idea. The later it is when we get home, the more hot water I’ll be in.” Kadyn looked closely at his friend. Debating with himself as to whether or not he should ask, his inherent inquisitiveness won out and he boldly inquired. “Ah, Rene, is there any chance you might also be in a bit of trouble with your partner?”

Rene was taken back by the question and had to think about just what to say in reply. He wasn’t exactly sure what kind of trouble Kadyn meant; perhaps he was thinking of trouble as in his partner just being upset that he hadn’t called. Could he actually be asking about the kind of trouble a person in a discipline relationship would be in? ‘Well,’ he thought, ‘there’s one way to find out.’

“Yeah,” he confessed. “I think I’m in some trouble with Zack. What kind of trouble are you in with Vincent?”

“Well, ya see…..it’s like this. When we got together, Vincent quickly discovered I had habits that needed to be changed if he was to remain sane. So we talked it over,” Kadyn glanced over at Rene and smirked. “Actually, Vincent did most the talking while I perfected my head-nodding ability. We made a list of expectations…that’s what Vincent calls them…..I still persist in referring to them as rules ‘cause that’s what they really are. Either way; if I don’t stick to them, I get punished. So far, it’s working well for both of us and Vincent has retained his sanity for the most part.”

Kadyn paused and checked to see how his friend was taking this. ‘At least he’s not laughing.’ Feeling comfortable in sharing, Kadyn babbled on. “I’m expected to keep Vincent informed of my whereabouts and since I didn’t call him to let him know of our change in plans, I can kinda count on tomorrow not being one of my better days.”

“Rules can kind of suck, you know. Especially since I have a somewhat selective memory and excel at jumping into situations without thinking things through.” He chuckled at some past memories. “Let me tell you, it’s a wonder my Dad’s eyes aren’t in permanent rotation. He rolled them a lot while I was growing up. In fact, he still does. I think it may be catchy ‘cause now Vincent also does it a lot.”

Rene was surprised by just how open Kadyn was about his lifestyle with Vincent. He could never imagine just blurting that out to someone the way Kadyn did, but then he’d never found it easy to talk about his deep-down feelings. Now that he had this new friend who made him feel so at ease, maybe he could open up a bit and talk about the agreement him and Zack had formed.

“Thanks for telling me about your relationship with Vincent. I didn’t think it was such a common thing that I’d meet someone else living in a discipline partnership. Though Zack and I haven’t been partners very long, we have agreed that using discipline is a good thing for us. But...well...we still haven’t..” Rene hesitated. It was so hard to just come out and say that he hadn’t been spanked at this point.

“I really don’t know how common it is. On the other hand, I can’t see Vincent and me being the only ones living the lifestyle.” He turned to face his companion. “Hey, maybe we should do a survey and if we find enough Brats, we can start a support group.” Kadyn found the idea hilarious and seeing the shocked look on Rene’s face, he shrugged his shoulders and began laughing. “There are several gay couples in Jade Heights, you know. There’s even a threesome!”

Turning somewhat serious and zeroing in on Rene’s unfinished sentence, Kadyn softly inquired. “Were you trying to tell me that although you and Zack have agreed on a DP, you haven’t been in any serious trouble yet?”

Trying to keep his mind on his driving while talking about this subject was becoming difficult for Rene. It was fortunate that he knew the area well and that they were only a couple of minutes from arriving at the artist supply store.

“Yeah, we had agreed on the discipline but no, we hadn’t come to the point of using it yet.” He hesitated, thinking about the situation. “But I think I’m in big trouble with him now. God, I so wish I’d been smart and thought about calling before. I really wanted our relationship to last and be good. Now he’s gonna see what a screw up I can be.” As he was speaking, Rene pulled into the parking lot of the store. “Well, we’re here. We’d better get in and get the stuff before they close up.”

Kadyn unlatched his seat belt as Rene shut off the engine. Turning slightly, he carefully studied his friend’s face and wished there was something he could say to reassure him. But now was not the time anyway. The long drive home would be somewhat more favourable for such a discussion.

“You’re right, man. We didn’t come all this way only to return home without the supplies you need,” Kadyn commented as they entered the store.

The items they had come for were readily available and it wasn’t long before they were back on the road again, looking for a placed to have a quick meal, which they inadvertently ended up dawdling over.

They had been on the road home for a little over an hour when Rene belched loudly. “Excuse me,” he said with a laugh. “I guess all that pop is still getting to me. I haven’t had such a big salty, greasy meal since I moved in with Zack. He’s a bit of a nut for eating healthy. Every time I try to suggest we go out for burgers he gets this frown that.... Oh no! Damn!”

Rene was suddenly working hard to turn the dying car onto the shoulder of the highway. They could see the headlights and dashboard lights fading to nothing. “Just what we need.” He tried starting the car several times but the only sound was a soft clicking noise. He slapped the steering wheel. “Shit! I think the alternator died and stopped charging the battery.”

“Guess that means we’ll not make it home before dark, huh? Maybe we shouldn’t have wasted so much time over supper; not that it would have made any difference to the car dying on us. And while I don’t mind, any bets Vincent will be chomping at the bit. I better call him and let him know we’ve hit a bit of a snag.” Kadyn took out his cell phone, flipped it open and tried to punch in some numbers. He gave it a shake and groaned. “Doesn’t this beat all? I can’t get a blasted signal. And I don’t see why not as we’ve just barely passed by Chilliwack.” He impatiently snapped the phone shut. “So, got any ideas on what we should do now?”

Rene pulled out his cell hoping that he might have more luck, but got no where. “A lot of these stretches of road between the mountains don’t get signals and I’m afraid we’re in one of them. The small town of Bridal Falls is about a twenty minute drive from here. I know the guy that owns a garage there. He was really nice to me last fall when old Nellie here needed a new starter. He did the work in exchange for a painting I did of him, his kids and grandkids in front of his house. I know he’d help us if we could reach him.”

Rene remembered that time with a smile. The mechanic, Gordon Hayes, had five grown children with their spouses and a total of eleven grandchildren. He’d done a painting that had all of them spread out on the big front porch; some sitting in chairs or on the swing, a couple perched on the porch rail and Gordon sitting on the top step with five of the little ones surrounding him as he read them a story. He’d painted in a shadowy image of the late Mrs. Hayes standing inside the house at the screen door with warm light shining behind her as she watched over her brood. Gordon actually cried when Rene had shown him the work.

“Thing is, it’s a bit far to walk and with no way to call for help, I think we might have to wait here and hope an R.C.M.P. patrol car comes by soon.”

Kadyn could not help but smile when he saw the wistful look on Rene’s face. However, the smiles quickly disappeared when contemplating their fate and how far away help was.

“We could be forever, Rene, waiting to be rescued. I think rather than standing around, we push the car as far over on the shoulder as we can and hitchhike,” Kadyn suggested as he got out of the car. “Good thing we’re on a straight stretch of road so oncoming vehicles can spot yours in plenty of time. In the meantime, while we are waiting for a ride we can be walking. Does that sound like a plan?”

Rene was a bit hesitant to agree to hitchhiking, however, it seemed to be a better idea than just sitting here. Kadyn was already behind the car prepared to push so Rene slipped the transmission into neutral and between the two of them, they quickly had it pushed over to the edge.

They made sure to have their cell phones and wallets with them before leaving the car and starting to walk towards Bridal Falls. They held out their thumbs to passing cars in hopes some kind person might pick them up.

Rene’s mind kept wandering to his relationship with Zack and that he was in trouble with his partner. He hadn’t been spanked since he was a little kid and he didn’t now how he would react.

“Kadyn, if you don’t want to answer this question, just say so. I’ll understand, cuz it is kinda personal. But I was just wondering about when you’re in trouble with Vincent and he...ya know...spanks you. Do you cry?”

Kadyn kick a crushed pop can someone had tossed onto the shoulder of the road, into the ditch. “Vincent has only spanked me hard a couple of times and yeah, I cried.”

Glancing at the other man and sensing Rene’s sincerity, Kadyn felt comfortable enough to continue. “One time was when he caught me climbing up and jumping from one building in town to another. The man has no sense of adventure. I mean, the buildings were those small two-story businesses on the far end of Main Street.” Kadyn laughed at the startled expression on his friend’s face. “Hey, I’ve been doing it for years. Anyway, the first time Vincent really walloped me, I told my father. Dad said it was about time someone did it. See, I was never spanked as a kid. Dad told me it wasn’t because I didn’t need it but because he couldn’t bring himself to do it. He also told me Vincent was made of sterner stuff and that Vincent loved me as much as my parents ever did but showed his love in different ways. And let me tell you, I really like those different ways…well most of them.”

Kadyn smirked as he visualized his sexy partner naked. He felt his body responding to the mental image and shook his head to clear it. “Why did you want to know, Rene?”

Rene drew in a breath. He’d asked the question, now he was going to have to follow through with the explanation. “Cuz I guess I’m kinda scared, ya know? I mean I’m not scared of Zack or anything. I know he won’t really hurt me, but I don’t want him to think I’m some kind of baby if I cry from it.”

They continued walking and hoping for a lift. “I like that Zack is in charge of things. It’s a good feeling to know that he’s there to deal with all the stuff and that he cares enough to hold me accountable for what I do. I just wish it wasn’t hanging over my head right now, especially with him not here to talk to about it.” He smiled at his friend. “But thank you for being so open with me about your relationship with Vincent. It makes this waiting easier to take, huh?”

Just then a large pick-up truck passed them, came to a slow stop a few yards down the road and the driver gave a toot of his horn. The two men grinned and ran towards it glad to have the chance of a ride.

Deep down inside, Kadyn knew he too liked Vincent being in charge. He was honest enough to admit his inability and possibly his somewhat unwillingness to think things through…it was just too time-consuming and if there was fun to be had, Kadyn always wanted to be ready.

He ran to keep up with Rene and clambered into the truck beside him. It was going on nine o’clock by the time they got to the garage, catching the owner just as he was closing up.

While Rene made arrangements with Mr. Hayes, Kadyn tried again to get a signal and finally succeeded. He crossed his fingers in the hope that Vincent wasn’t too worked up over them being well past the time they were expected home. “For the second time today,” Kadyn groaned.

*******************

Meanwhile, Zack was concerned enough after several attempts to get in touch with Rene, to call Vincent. “Hello, Vincent, Zack here. Have you by chance heard recently from that young partner of yours?”

Vincent had snatched up the phone on the second ring. “Nope, not a word Zack, as a matter of fact I thought you were Kadyn telling me why he was running behind schedule. What do you think about us going to look for them? They’re probably just fixing a flat tire just a few miles from town, but I’d feel better knowing that rather than sitting here wondering. If you want, I’ll pick you up at your place in five minutes.”

“It sounds like a plan to me, Vincent. I’ll be ready when you get here.” Zack put down the phone and picked up his cell, wallet and keys. He was downstairs waiting minutes before Vincent pulled up at the curb.

“It would be nice if you are right about them perhaps being close by. But as I haven’t reached Rene yet, I think there is a good chance they are further away and possible where they are unable to get a signal.” Zack expressed his unease as he buckled up. “After all, I’d have a hard time believing that Rene wouldn’t keep me informed of any new change in plans…certainly not twice in one day.”

The words had barely left Zack’s mouth when Vincent’s cell phone began to ring. The two men glanced at each other and smiled when Vincent confirmed that call was from Kadyn.

“Hi, Vincent, it’s me. Sorry I didn’t call sooner but we were in a dead zone. We’re all right; just gonna be a lot later than planned. The alternator gave out and Rene’s talking some guy into fixing it. I don’t know what the plans are yet but will call you back when we get it all figured out, okay?” Kadyn spoke rapidly to give as many facts as possible to his partner in the shortest amount of time. He paused to catch his breath.

Zack immediately realized that if Kadyn could get through to Vincent, he could get a hold of Rene. Hitting the speed dial on his cell, Zack waited as patiently as he could to hear his partner’s voice.

When Kadyn paused for breath, Vincent jumped in before he could get going again. “At least you’re okay and that’s the most important thing! I was getting worried. In fact, Zack and I were about to go looking for you and Rene. Tell me where you guys are and we’ll meet up with you. We can always come back for the car tomorrow.”

Rene felt the phone vibrating in his pocket and knew without looking that it was Zack. Part of him was dying to talk to his lover but the other part was feeling very apprehensive. What if Zack was really angry with him?

He really didn’t want to mess up this relationship. He’d only ever had one other lover who’d killed himself when his family had rejected him after learning his was gay. Rene’s own family wasn’t exactly happy about his sexuality and had made it clear that though they loved their son, they wouldn’t welcome any partner he had into their home orlives. So he was very afraid of losing Zack and being alone again.

Rene drew in a deep breath and opened the phone. “Hello, Zack. I’m so sorry. Please, forgive me,” he pleaded.

Kadyn took his time and spoke slower. “We’re in Bridal Falls, Vincent; over three hours away from home. Are you sure you wanna come get us? Why don’t you wait for me to call you back?” Glancing at Rene and seeing his hand up to his ear, Kadyn quickly assumed his friend was talking to his own partner. “Let me guess, Zack is near you and on his cell…betcha it’s with Rene, right?”

Zack shook his head at his young partner’s nervous sounding voice and patiently set about easing his mind. “Rene, sweetheart, it’s all right. I’m calling to see if you are okay and to ask what has happened to hold you up.” He smiled and softly said, “I was starting to become concerned and although Vincent is presently talking to Kadyn, I wanted to hear what’s going on from my own love.”

Rene relaxed at the sound of Zack’s voice. Though he was still apprehensive about being in trouble for the first time, at least Zack didn’t come across as angry. He went on to explain about the car’s alternator and how they were arranging for a friend of his to get the car towed to Bridal Falls and repaired. He left out the part about hitch-hiking in hopes that Zack wouldn’t think to ask just how they got from the car to the town. “So anyway, that’s what's happening right now,” he finished.

“You certainly seem to have everything under control, Rembrandt,” Zack praised. “However, Vincent and I are heading out to meet up with you and Kadyn. It will be after midnight by the time we get there. But even if your car is ready before then, I want you to wait there for us. There is a small Tim Horton’s just this side of Bridal Falls. How about us all meeting up there?”

“Okay, Zack, we’ll meet you there. Mr. Hayes said the car should be fixed in much less time than that. Besides I could sure go for an extra large Timmy’s coffee to keep me awake. It’s been a long day. See you soon.”

Zack said goodbye and closed his phone. He sat back and waited for Vincent’s conversation with Kadyn to end. The two older men had information to exchange. Zack was also a little anxious to get to his partner who had sounded rather tired.

Vincent smiled at Kadyn’s accurate guess. “Yes, you’re right. Zack is on the phone too,” he replied. “We’ll meet you at Tim Horton’s; it doesn’t matter that it’s a bit of a drive. I want to see you so the distance isn’t a problem.” Lowering his voice a bit, he added, “Take care, Kadyn. I love you.”

“Love you too!” Kadyn snapped his cell shut and turned to Rene; a wide grin lighting up his face. “They’re on their way,” he announced. “What’s our next move? Is your friend gonna fix the car? If so, it’s gonna take us some time to go get it and bring it back here.” Kadyn’s energy was quickly returning and he was bouncing on the balls of his feet.

As he closed his phone, Vincent realized Zack had ended his conversation and was waiting. Grinning at him, Vincent asked, “Well, are you all set for drive to Bridal Falls? It’s only a few hours away.”

“Yes, I’m ready. It could be worse you know, as they could be further away,” Zack quietly commented, his thoughts on his partner. “It’s been a long day for those two young men and I don’t know about Kadyn, but Rene sounded tired. Once we are on the way home, he can sleep while I do the driving.”

“Yes, Mr. Hayes is going to take us now to pick up the car and then fix it. He said it will take less than half an hour to do the work so we should arrive at the Tim Horton’s long before Zack and Vincent.” Rene yawned in reply.

True to his word, Rene’s mechanic friend had the car towed and repaired in short order. Though when the older man learned how they’d arrived Bridal Falls, the two had had to listen to a strong reprimand about the dangers of hitch-hiking. Rene tried to explain that they’d had no choice being stranded on the road with no cell phone service. However, Mr. Hayes quickly rebuked that as a poor excuse, reminding them that the R.C.M.P. patrol the highway regularly.

Rene knew that Zack would feel the same way and he hoped once again that his partner would overlook asking how they’d manage to reach town from their broken down vehicle.

While they waited in the auto shop, Rene had gulped down a big mug of Mr. Hayes’ strong coffee. Then he immediately ordered a double/double upon arriving at the Tim Horton’s, which was followed by yet another. He was feeling a nervous buzz from the caffeine and sugar when they finally saw Zack and Vincent climbing out the car outside the restaurant.

“They’re here!” Kadyn announced and waved to the two men crossing the parking lot. He shuffled closer to the wall to make room for his partner to sit next to him but his brow creased in uneasiness when he saw the irritated expression on Vincent’s handsome face. He gulped and hastily pulled his eyes away.

Getting a brief glance of Zack’s face, he looked anxiously at Rene to see how his friend was holding up. Rene seemed kind of hyper and Kadyn put it down to the amount of coffee they had all but inhaled over the last hour or so. Leaning across the table, he whispered, “Remember, we don’t mention the hitch-hiking, right? One chewing out is enough in my books and besides I know I’m still in trouble for not calling earlier and letting Vincent in on our planning a detour trip to Vancouver.”

He looked up brightly at his partner’s arrival at the table and casually greeted, “Hi, Vincent, you guys made darn good time, didn’t ya? Any chance you were speeding?”

Vincent sat down next to Kadyn and gave him a warm smile. “No, Kadyn, we didn’t speed. Though I admit I had been worried about you and Rene.” Sliding into the booth he gave Kadyn’s leg a slight squeeze. Seeing the beginning of circles under Kadyn’s eyes he knew his partner was all but out on his feet despite his chipper greeting. “Do you want anything more? If not, I think it’s time for us to be heading home, unless there is something else that needs to be taken care of.”

Kadyn leaned heavily against Vincent and laid his head on the bigger man’s shoulder. His excitement in the day was beginning to wane. Of course, he’d be the last to admit it. Just as he’d never admit how much he relied on his partner to provide the stability he was unable to find on his own. There were occasions when his enthusiasm for whatever he was involved in at the moment would escalate to the point of leaving him exhausted; this was one of those times. Even the amount of coffee he’d had wasn’t enough to keep him going much longer.

Nodding, he murmured a reply. “Everything’s okay, Vincent, and I’m more than ready to head home. I feel like I’m gonna crash any minute now.”

Rene jumped up from his seat, knocking the remainder of his coffee over the table. “Damn, fuck, shit...” he swore as he grabbed napkins from the holder to mop up the mess. He looked up when a hand came down and took the soaked mess from him. “Oh hi, Zack,” he said nervously to his partner’s unhappy-looking face.

Zack finished mopping up the spilled drink and threw the soggy napkins into the trash bin. “Scoot over please, love,” he requested and sat down in the space made for him. “I don’t think that is acceptable language for a public place, young man, even if the store is almost empty,” he admonished softly for Rene’s ears only, not wanting to embarrass his partner. Reaching under the table, he gave his lover’s knee a reassuring squeeze to show he wasn’t angry with the outburst and had no intention of pursuing it further.

“I take it all went well where your car is concerned and that you’re now anxious to be homeward bound?” Zack asked, taking in the signs of fatigue in his Brat’s beautiful blue eyes even though Rene appeared somewhat keyed up. ‘Hmm, caffeine overload if I’m not mistaken,’ he thought but kept it to himself.

Rene flushed slightly, embarrassed by Zack hearing him swear like that. “Yeah I have to confess I’ll be happy to get home tonight. I just want to get a coffee before we head out. Can I get you one too?”

Zack placed an arm around Rene’s shoulders and gave him a comforting hug. “I don’t think so, Rembrandt. Looks to me as if you’ve had enough for tonight; one more cup and you’ll be able to run home,” he teased. “I think I’ll get some apple juice though. What would you like instead of coffee?”

Rene looked at Zack as if he’d grown another head. To him, having juice in Tim Horton’s was like going to a Chinese restaurant and ordering a hamburger. Besides he needed another coffee to stay awake for the drive. “I want a coffee, Zack. I spilled half my other one all over the table and you know I love Tim’s coffee.”

Zack looked his Brat in the eye and firmly reminded him. “I said no more coffee, Rene, and I meant it. You’ve had enough. It’s time we were heading out, so please decide if you want something else to drink.”

“Okay, Kadyn, we’re going now. You can nap on the way home,” Vincent murmured softly. He knew that his Brat would be asleep in less than five minutes, but he didn’t mind. He was just happy that everything had worked out and everyone was fine. He knew as well that he and Kadyn would have to have a talk, but that could wait until they were both well rested.

Catching Zack’s eye, Vincent smiled and informed his friend. “Zack, we’re going to head home now. You and Rene have a good trip.”

Zack glanced up to see Vincent and Kadyn getting out of the other side of the booth and returned Vincent’s smile. “Yes, we’re also leaving momentarily. Travel safely and we’ll talk sometime next week.” He waved in response as final farewells were exchanged and turned back to his partner. “Ready?” he asked and stood up.

After saying goodbye to Rene and thanking him for a fun day, Kadyn linked hands with Vincent and willingly let his partner lead him out of the coffee shop. They got into Vincent’s car and buckled up. Kadyn was asleep before they drove out of the parking lot.

Back inside the coffee shop, Rene was surprised by Zack denying him the coffee he felt he needed. Though they’d agreed upon a relationship that had Zack in charge, the older man had never actually refused him something. To date, the biggest issue their new relationship had dealt with was Rene coming home late from work and since he’d made an effort to be home on time after being chastised, he’d never been in any real trouble until this day.

He obviously needed to give Zack a good reason so he’d understand the need for the coffee. “Zack, I really need some caffeine to make the drive home. You wouldn’t want me sleepy behind the wheel would you?”

Zack took Rene by the arm, helped him out of the booth and steered him towards the door. “There is no fear of you falling asleep at the wheel, Rene, as I will be driving. Now let’s get out of here.” Zack’s stern voice did not allow for any further arguing and before much longer, they were leaving Bridal Falls far behind them.

Rene couldn’t believe that Zack had taken his keys and was driving them home in his car. It wasn’t that he didn’t trust his partner to drive, but still it was his car and he was used to being behind the wheel.

Besides which, now that he didn’t have to concentrate on driving he had time to think about the day and the fact that he was in trouble. First of all, he’d gone to Vancouver without calling, then he hitch-hiked. Heaven help him if Zack found out about that. And now he’d made his partner angry by arguing with him about coffee. No, this had not turned out to be a very good day at all.

Rene began to wonder just how angry Zack was. Could he be angry enough to tell Rene he wasn’t worth all this effort? Zack had told him many times how much he loved him, so maybe he’d get over this if Rene apologized and promised not to get in any more trouble.

He looked over at his partner’s face illuminated slightly green by the dashboard lights, his expression serious as he drove. “I’m sorry,” Rene whispered, barely audible.

Zack reached over, took Rene’s hand in his and tenderly kissed the back of it. “Hmm, and what exactly are you sorry for, my love?” he softly inquired, briefly glancing at his Brat before turning his attention back to his driving.

Tears welled in Rene’s eyes and he rubbed at them fiercely, not wanting to let them fall. “I’m sorry for being such a pain in the ass today. I should have called you before we went to Vancouver and then well....” he hesitated, deciding to skip over the hitch-hiking, “...making you drive all this way so late at night and then giving you a hard time about the coffee. I won’t do it again Zack I promise, I’ll behave the way you want me to from now on. I’m really sorry.”

Zack frowned a little and shook his head. “Rene, sweetheart, I don’t want you any different than the man I fell in love with. I don’t expect perfection from you and I trust you don’t expect it from me.” Zack gave the hand in his a gentle squeeze. “Yes, you should have called and informed me of your change in plans. You, my lad, will have some lines to write so maybe next time you will remember to do so.” He looked over to see how this announcement was being received but could not detect a reaction, at least nothing negative.

Kissing Rene’s hand once again and releasing it, Zack continued. “As far as my coming to get you, that was my choice; it was something I wanted very much to do. And there is no need to sweat our difference of opinion where the coffee is concerned. ” He stopped talking for a moment to concentrate on the sharp bend in the road.

It occurred to Zack that his Brat was more uptight than the infractions warranted. ‘Ah-ha,’ he thought as he focused in on the niggling sensation that had been at the back of his mind since he’d called Rene and learned about the car trouble. “Tell me, Rene, just how did you and Kadyn get to Bridal Falls?”

Rene gulped; he felt like his stomach had dropped to his feet. “We...got a ride?” he replied tentatively.

His suspicions multiplying, Zack wanted the whole story and determinedly went after it. “Really? Who did you get a ride with, Rene? Hopefully it was the Mounties.”

‘This is it,’ Rene thought. ‘I’m gonna have to come clean.’ Drawing a deep breath, he answered, “No, not exactly the Mounties. We decided not to wait, so we caught a ride with a passing truck driver.” He looked to Zack, hoping to see acceptance of their actions but knowing it wouldn’t be the case.

Zack paled as his stomach turned over at the thought of how badly that choice could have ended. ‘Okay, calm down,’ he silently admonished himself. ‘Nothing happened; the guys are all right; the love of your life is sitting beside you.’

Gulping in air, he gripped the wheel tightly and worked at keeping his voice even. “Why in the name of God would the two of you think that was a good idea? Don’t you realize how dangerous hitch-hiking is?” he questioned and not waiting for the answers, continued to reprimand. “It is also illegal; but then again, getting arrested would have been the least amount of trouble you could have found yourselves in. You may think you’ve come away unscathed, young man, but such is not the case. This error in judgement has earned you your first trip over my knee,” he sternly informed his partner. “I love you too much to let this go, Rene. I will never condone you placing yourself in harm’s way.”

The tears that were threatening earlier began to fall despite Rene’s best efforts. He felt angry with himself and even a bit angry at Kadyn. Though he knew his friend was no more at fault than he was as they’d done this together. However, that didn’t change the emotions he was feeling.

He looked over at Zack and could see the tension in his lover’s face. Knowing he was the cause of it only made Rene feel worse; that along with the thought of actually being spanked. “I’m sorry, Zack, I screwed up big time. I won’t do it again. I don’t want to be spanked. Couldn’t you just forget it this time?”

Even as Rene pleaded, he knew the answer would be no and if he were truly honest with himself, he would have realized that he wouldn’t want Zack to give in to his pleas. He needed to know that Zack loved him enough to follow through.

Picking up on his Brat’s distress, Zack kept a lookout. Finding what he was watching for, Zack slowed down and drove into the lot of a closed gas station. Shutting down the car engine, he unbuckled his seatbelt, turned and did likewise with Rene’s, and then flicked on the overhead light before drawing his partner into his arms. “It’s going to be okay, love. We’ll take care of things, honest.”

Realizing his mantra was doing little to soothe his Brat’s fears; Zack gave Rene a firm hug and softly inquired, “Tell me, sweetheart, do you feel loved and safe when you’re in my arms?”

Rene was clinging tightly to Zack. He needed to feel his partner’s arms around him. “Of course, Zack; you always make me feel safe and loved.” he murmured into the older man’s chest. “Nothing feels better than when you hold me.”

“That’s good, baby. Now tell if you also feel equally loved and safe when sitting on my lap,” Zack requested, giving Rene a gentle squeeze and kissing his head.

Rene nodded against the broad chest, relishing in the attention Zack was giving him. “Yeah, I love sitting on your lap,” he replied.

“Okay, Rene, listen to me; carefully please,” Zack insisted. He continued talking only after he was sure of his partner’s full attention. “I promise that you will feel just as loved and just as safe when you are lying face down over my lap. Grant it, you’ll be getting off it with a very sore bottom, but rest assured that all chastisement will be administered in love and never in anger.”

Glancing at the dashboard and taking note of the time, Zack lovingly stated, “We will be home before you know it. I want you to sleep the rest of the trip.” He began to hum softly while rubbing soothing circles on the over-tired man’s back.

Rene really didn’t want to go to sleep, but he couldn’t seem to fight off the effects of Zack’s gentle caresses and comforting words. It had been a long and draining day with all the happenings and emotional turmoil, so despite his best efforts, Rene’s eyes began to close and sleep overcame him.

He didn’t wake until he felt the car coming to a halt in the lot behind their apartment. He was surprised to find his seatbelt had been securely refastened around him, his seat slightly reclined and his head cushioned against the small neck roll that he kept in the car for long trips.

He turned to look at Zack, hoping to see the loving man who had held him in that gas station parking lot and not the tense, upset man he’d seen when he’d confessed to hitch-hiking with Kadyn. “Hi,” was all he managed to say while trying to gage his partner’s mood.

“Hi yourself.” Zack smiled and reached over to ruffle his sleepy-eyed Brat’s hair. “We’re home!” he announced even though it wasn’t necessary and climbed out of the car. “God, that feels good,” he groaned as he stretched the kinks out of his body. “Out you get, Rembrandt. Let’s get your purchases upstairs.” He opened the back door and stared in disbelief at the parcels filling the rear seat. “Good grief, are all these yours? What are you planning to do, paint the entire town?” Knowing they had unfinished business to take care of once they were in their apartment, Zack was deliberately keeping his tone light so as not to spook his partner.

“Oh damn,” Rene cursed. “A lot of that stuff is Kadyn’s. He bought a bunch of things for his Cub Pack. I’ll take them over to him first thing tomorrow morning. I did get quite a few things for my art though. I bought a couple of sable brushes in the Kelowna store and they had a sale on the acrylic paints I like in the Vancouver store and...” he hesitated, thinking that maybe bringing up Vancouver right now wasn’t the best idea. “Well anyway, I got all the stuff I needed,” he added sadly.

Zack helped Rene gather up all the packages then struggled to get their back door unlocked. Together they got everything upstairs and onto their kitchen table.

“You can sort all this in the morning, Rene,” Zack insisted. He gazed lovingly at his partner and released a long sigh when he observed the signs of anxiety and panic rapidly re-emerging. It was time to take control and put an end to Rene’s uncertainty.

“It is very late and we have a major issue to give closure too, don’t we, my love?” he calmly reminded the young man. Taking Rene’s hand, he led him into the living room and took a seat on the sofa. Pulling his Brat down to sit on his right thigh, Zack quietly questioned him. “Tell me, Rene, were you or were you not aware of the dangers of hitch-hiking?”

Rene didn’t want to look Zack in the eyes. He knew if he did, he would tear up. So he turned his face away and answered the question. “I knew it could be unsafe. I thought we should wait for the R.C.M.P. but Kadyn didn’t want to. He figured we’d be there forever and I really didn’t want to sit there for so long either. So I agreed and we were lucky we got a ride in a very short time.” Trying to justify himself more, Rene added, “He was a really nice guy and dropped us right at Mr. Hayes’ place.”

“Yes, you were fortunate indeed, sweetheart. However, your good fortune does not exonerate you from having taken the chance and doing something extremely risky in the first place, does it?” Zack didn’t wait for answer, wanting to move things along while Rene was still able to cope. He gentle patted his Brat’s hip and calmly instructed. “Up you get, babe. We are going to take care of this and then we are going to bed. We are both very tired.”

Once his Brat was on his feet, Zack reached up and undid the other man’s jeans. Next he pulled his partner’s pants and underwear down to his knees before turning slightly to one side. He gently guided Rene across his left thigh and helped him get comfortable, with his upper body securely resting on the sofa. “I don’t think we have to reiterate why you are getting this spanking, do we, Rene?”

Rene shook his head and mumbled “no” in response to Zack’s question. He felt very vulnerable lying like this across his partner’s lap. Though he knew he was loved and secure, still he was nervous not knowing just what to expect. He felt his butt tighten and clench in expectation of the first smack, wondering how much it would hurt. One thing for sure, he was not going to cry. No sir; Rene Albert Wilson could take it like a man. Or he hoped he could.

Zack placed his right leg over both of Rene’s and stroked his hand gently over his intended target. Raising his arm, he brought it down with a resounding smack on the bare backside in front of him. He didn’t scold; he just concentrated on teaching his precious Brat a lesson in making proper choices.

Less than a minute later, Zack landed two sharp swats on each reddened globe to end the spanking. Lifting his well-chastened partner and being mindful of Rene’s sore bottom, Zack gathered him onto his lap and began reassuring the young man. “Shh, sweetheart, you’re going to be fine. It’s over and all is forgiven. I love you, baby; too much to ever let unsafe behaviour go without retribution. Shh, my beloved; you’re mine and in safe hands, I promise,” he murmured, rubbing soothing circles on his sobbing Brat’s back and placing tender kisses on his head. He was unsure if his words were even being heard, but at that point in time it did not matter.

Rene’s resolve not to cry flew out the window by the fourth swat. He couldn’t believe how much it hurt. By the time it was over and he felt Zack lifting him up and into his arms, he was crying freely.

What surprised him the most though was despite the burning pain in his butt, he felt better than he had all day; being held in his lover’s strong arms and knowing he was forgiven made all the difference. As his crying calmed, the words Zack spoke began to sink in.

He looked into his partner’s eyes and asked in a voice rough from crying. “I’m really yours, aren’t I? Even after causing you so much trouble? I love you, Zack, and I want to belong to you forever.”

“Yes, really mine; and you didn’t cause me as much trouble as you caused yourself,” Zack responded with a loving smile. “Hmm, forever sure sounds good to me, sweetheart,” Zack spoke softly and gently kissed a still damp cheek. “Let’s get you cleaned up. We can talk in bed and make plans for tomorrow if you like.”

Another reassuring squeeze and Zack helped Rene out of his jeans and boxers before setting him on his feet. Then while Rene washed up, Zack turned off the lights and locked the doors. Several minutes later, they both crawled into bed and reached for each other. This was one of Zack’s favourite activities, cuddling with the love of his life as they talked over anything that came to mind, before falling asleep in each other’s arms.

Rene felt comforted and reassured lying in his partner’s arms. He thought back through the day and how it had ended with his first spanking at Zack’s hand.

“Zack, I don’t know if I can find the right words to tell you how I’m feeling right now, but I do want you to know how happy I am that you insisted on a discipline relationship. I knew it felt right for you to be in charge but until now I wasn’t really sure about the discipline part. It scared me a bit and I was afraid that it would make me feel like some naughty little kid." He paused, trying to find the words.

Zack’s gentle squeeze and kiss encouraged him to continue. “But you didn’t make me feel that way at all. I felt your love and strength through the whole thing and I felt so much better when it was over. It really cleared the air between us without the yelling and fighting that my mom and dad would do when they were upset with something the other had done. Well, maybe it sounds a bit weird or wimpy but I like it now; knowing that you will discipline me when it’s needed. That you love me enough to want to do all the work it takes to be responsible for us and that I belong to you.”

“We belong to each other, sweetheart, and don’t you ever forget it,” Zack growled. He waited for Rene to fall asleep, then flopped over onto his stomach and draped his arm over his Brat’s chest, anchoring him to his side. He dozed off, secure in the knowledge that the sight of his beautiful lover would be the first to greet him in the morning.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment